Top End Dragways Track History
Track was built in 1959 by George Holland, it was the first drag strip to be built in Minnesota and was called Red River Valley Dragways. Under George’s ownership, the track was sanctioned by AHRA (American Hot Rod Association).
In 1969, the track was purchased by Duwayne Engness, he renamed it to Interstate Dragways and changed to NHRA Sanctioning. Threw out the early and mid '70’s, Duwayne ran NHRA Class cars (Super Comp, Gas, and Street) only. In the late '70’s he added bracket classes to the mix for a few years then migrated to running only bracket classes. Classes that Duwayne ran were Super Comp which ran on a pro tree and the racer dialed there own handicap. Pro Et, Heavy Street, and Street which all run on a full tree and racers dialed there handicaps. In '78, they switched to running two day weekends (previous years were one day events).
In 1996, the track was purchased by Ron Johnson who continued to run the track as Interstate Dragways and under NHRA sanctioning.
In fall of 2010, the track was purchased by Charlie McCann and renamed Top End Dragways. Top End continues to run under NHRA sanctioning and car count is increasing every race. 2012 will be a big season for Top End which will be hosting the first of its annual National Open in May.
Old Track Photo's Below